Wednesday, July 16, 2014

A Long Overdue Update

Well, it’s been over a year since I posted my last update and please accept my apologies for the delay but as many of you know yourselves, real life takes precedence over hobbies. I’m still modeling and painting miniatures but at a much slower pace that before. Between changing roles and organizations at work and some significant changes in my personal life (see Girlfriend), I haven’t completed much on the modeling front. However, I am now working on changing the ‘modeling drought’ if you will by working on a 1/48 scale armor, specifically the Tamiya 1/48 Jadgpanther.

It’s a great little kit that I am using as a test bed for trying out several new techniques that I have wanted to use for some time. The kit is being built pretty much box stock with the only deviation being the addition of Hauler’s engine deck screens. So far the tri-color ambush scheme has been airbrushed on, decals applied and sealed using Future floorwax. I then applied a coat of Vallejo’s Matt Varnish to tone down the finish and I started applying various oil based washes. The finish is coming along and I’m at the stage of applying scrapes and scratches as well as dry-brushing highlights on various edges.

At the moment, that is where the model sits as I am preparing to start painting and weathering the tracks and starting to work with the MIG powders. I purchased them at the 2013 IPMS USA National Contest that was hosted here in CO last summer. This weathering technique is really why I started this project because from what I’ve seen it adds a new level of realism and that could easily make my Warhammer 40k models ‘pop’ a little more when placed on the tabletop.

Well, that’s it for this update but I’ll be posting some WIP pictures of the Jadgpanter and some other models that I have completed since my last update.

No comments:

Post a Comment