Friday, December 18, 2009

Flooded Memories...

So it seems that I had a slight drainage problem for the furnace/humidifier earlier this week that has caused me nothing but grief. The tubing and pvc drain pipe leads to the floor drain properly but there must have been a little overflow that went right for some boxes lined up against the wall. Of course, these boxes hold my book collection, comic collection and some rare Macross models kits.

So far it appears that I have lost every Star Wars novel released in paperback over the last fifteen years, my entire Battletech collection (both old and new), nearly all of the early Forgotten Realms novels and various trilogies and novels from other classic sci-fi writers. I also lost about a year to a year and half of comics that were unfortunately not properly bagged and boarded due to not having time when I moved into the house back in June of last year. Fortunately, my Uncanny X-men collection which spans form issue #200 to about a year ago, was left untouched.

The greatest loss in my opinion is the whole StarRigger trilogy (StarRigger, Red Limit Freeway and Paradox Alley) from John De Chancie, those have been out of print since the mid-eighties and a search on Amazon and E-bay found nothing reasonably priced at this time. That series was and is one of my all time favorite distractions when I wanted to just unwind and get away for a while. The interaction between Jake McGraw and Sam, his father, who is now an A.I in an intergalactic Semi-Truck (ala, KiTT), is one of the funniest things I’ve ever read. Their adventures along the way to the end of the Skyway are just hilarious and fun and have provided me years of enjoyment. Hell, I was just thinking of digging them out and reading them again just last week. They’re the kind of books that when you read them you begin to relate to relate to the characters like they’re your old friends that you haven’t seen in a couple of years.

I am thankful that my homeowners insurance will cover the damages. I’m now in the process of collecting what is damaged and/or destroyed so that I can submit it on Monday morning. For all of you homeowners, I recommend that you make sure that your coverage includes water damage because you never know when you may need it.

Needless to say, I haven’t done any modeling this week but I plan to try and get some done this weekend. So cheers to everyone and see you on the flipside, I gonna have a few beers and look for the map to the end of Skyway….

No comments:

Post a Comment