Thursday, December 3, 2009

Takin’ a break… sort of...

So I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend, I got stuffed on turkey and pie and had a great time watching football on Thursday. I was able to play a few games on Friday but I came to the realization that I wasn’t having much fun playing WH40k anymore. Maybe it was my pathetic dice rolling or the fact that lately I just haven’t been excited about the game or hobby overall. Part of the issue is I’m letting problems in my real-life affect me and I am unable to switch-off and relax like I should. I have been frustrated with the game and hobby for a while now and nothing seems to help in getting me out of the funk. I still show interest in certain areas like the new Skaven and Imperial Guard armies the problem is that it when I sit down to paint or play a game it feels like a second job.

As a result, I’m going to be stepping away from the gaming table for a while and focusing on other areas in an effort to rekindle my fire for the game. One thing I have decided to do is experiment with some new painting and weathering techniques on some tank models. It’s been a while since I have pulled out one of my many plastic airplane or tank models and this seems like the perfect opportunity to build a tank and experiment.

I picked up a Dragon 1/35 Tiger II – Porsche Turret heavy tank earlier this summer and it includes separate track links and a small fret of photo-etch for the tool handles and screens. It features the zimmerite coating already molded on so it should be an easy build and a great medium for using my new Mig Productions weathering powders. I’ve used them before but this time my goal is to do a heavily weathered Eastern Front tank. I think that this experiment will allow me to brush up on my airbrushing and weathering skills as I would like to these technique when I begin work on my Imperial Guard tanks early next year. I also think that it will help me convey the grunginess of the Skaven as well.

I’ll keep you posted on my progress and I should have some photos up soon as I’ll be picking up the light tent combo set in the next couple of weeks; gotta what the budget this close to Christmas :)

No comments:

Post a Comment